Chocolate Doughnuts with Ganache and Pistachios
As someone who has always claimed to be “just not that into doughnuts,” I’ve got some explaining to do…
Doughnuts have never been a weakness of mine– except for those delicious chocolate doughnuts from Entenmann’s that are sprinkled with the little balls of chocolate crumbs and for some silly silly reason only come in pairs of 2 in packs of 12. And let’s be honest, I want 12 of them…
But besides that… nada– for twenty-something years! And now, suddenly, when I own something as dangerous as a doughnut pan the obsession begins… I wish my obsession ended with baked doughnuts but no. Oh, no… I actually go to the doughnut shop for my deep-fried goodness fix on top of baking them on the regular.
The other day I actually arrived at the doughnut shop BEFORE the guy even opened up! It wasn’t five minutes past 5AM before I was knocking on his door and asking for half a dozen doughnuts… OKAY, so in reality I was trying to pick up doughnuts for my dad’s birthday before my 7AM flight but still. It. Is. Just. Plain. SAD.
Anyway, I’ve had some great experiences with my seasonal baked doughnuts, including, Apple Cider Doughnuts and Pumpkin Doughnuts, but since we’re at this odd time of year where I get anxiety about what holiday to bake for I decided to bake a holiday-neutral flavor. Chocolate Doughnuts with Ganache and Pistachios.
In my opinion, these are kind of festive because they contain pistachios… And as I said before, this is my opinion, but pistachios are festive because they are green… and they remind me of Christmas. But not in the way that gives me anxiety about baking holiday goodies too early.
Whether you agree or not, these doughnuts are sure to satisfy your chocolate fix. The doughnuts have a rich cocoa flavor but aren’t too sweet, a smooth, milky chocolate ganache, and a salty garnish!
Baked Chocolate Doughnuts with Milk Chocolate Ganache and Pistachios
Yield: 12-15 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 ½ cups cake flour
- ½ cup dutch process cocoa powder
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup high quality milk chocolate chips
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ - ¾ cup roasted and salted pistachios, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425. Spray donut pan lightly with non-stick spray.
- To make doughnuts, in a small bowl beat the eggs and vanilla. In a large bowl mix the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Then add in the buttermilk, stir a bit, then add in the melted butter, and finally add egg mixture. Mix till just combined; no need to overmix. Fill each donut mold about 2/3 fill and bake for about 7–10 minutes. Remove from pan and place on cooling rack. While doughnuts are cooling, prepare ganache.
- To make ganache, place chocolate morsels in a large non-reactive bowl. In a medium saucepan, heat cream until bubbles begin to form around the edge of the pan. Immediately remove the pan from the heat and pour it over the chocolate. Let chocolate and cream mixture sit for 3 minutes. With a wooden spoon, begin stirring small circles in the middle of the bowl. As the smooth mixture begins to form in the middle, slowly expand the size of the circle until the cream and chocolate is fully incorporated. Let ganache cool for 5 minutes.
- To assemble, dip doughnuts in ganache and top with chopped pistachios. Let chocolate set before serving.